Once it’s installed and working properly, many homeowners pay little attention to their HVAC supply system. As long as it’s putting out heat and cold air at the right times, everyone is happy!
But did you know that, just like maintenance on your car, regular HVAC maintenance is super important and critical to the optimal performance of your system? Whether your HVAC system is brand new, a few years old or 10+ years old, it’s important to schedule regular HVAC maintenance visits. Doing so can actually reduce your HVAC supply costs in the long run by preventing the need to replace an entire system as a result of neglect. You will also increase the energy-efficiency benefits of your system.
Regular Maintenance Starts at Home: HVAC Tips to Ensure Long-Term Use of Your Air Conditioning & Heating Systems
Here are some of the top suggestions from the Unique Indoor Comfort Palatine team of HVAC maintenance professionals:
- Change your filter every 12 weeks. Not only will this change keep your system running better, but it will also improve air quality for the people and pets who live inside your home.
- Have your ducts cleaned annually for more efficient air flow.
- If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, upgrade to one at your earliest convenience. These thermostats allow you to adjust your HVAC settings based on time of day or usage of certain areas of the home to save energy and reduce your utility bills. Just ask us to recommend a model that’s compatible with your system. Most programmable thermostats are now smartphone compatible and will allow you to monitor and adjust your system from anywhere you are.
- Keep vents in your home open and clear of carpets, furniture, draperies or anything else that may block them.
- Make sure there’s plenty of clearance around your outdoor unit. Make it a regular activity to remove natural debris, like leaves, branches and grass that may have fallen on the unit due to the changing seasons or poor weather conditions.
Have You Considered an Annual Maintenance Plan?
Even if you regularly follow basic maintenance tips for system, it’s a wise idea to speak with our team about our annual maintenance plan. Doing so will ensure that your system remains in good condition with regular HVAC maintenance checks from our licensed and certified technicians.
All new installations from Unique Indoor Comfort receive credit for the first year of our annual maintenance plan. This way, your new system remains in the best possible condition from the start and helps to keep your heating – and cooling – related bills in an affordable range. A thorough check of your system at least twice a year, means dollars saved in the long-run and the assurance that you and your family will be warm in the cold winter months and cool when the heat and humidity set in.